Using Forms

Options

Hello,

does anyone know when you use forms as a quiz and have multiple choices with only one right answer how do you ensure that only one selection is allowed? Currently we used logic to identify which answer was the correct one but I can't seem to lock it to only one selection for the user can see if he has the wrong answer they can just select the right one. Does that make sense?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MONICA BUENDIA

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to "lock" in a user's submission once they have selected a multiple choice answer so that they can't change this choice. Currently Smartsheet forms aren't able to create a "lock" like this - the answers are only recorded once the form has been submitted.

Is there a reason why you want to display the right answer in the form as they are completing the quiz? My suggestion would be to send out an email after the row has been submitted (using an Alert Workflow) which identifies if the user selected the correct choice for each question and provides them with their overall score (using data in the sheet such as formulas to verify this).

Would that work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you!

Ok so the way you've done this makes it really easy to calculate the percent, but not so easy to send an alert afterwards.

Your formula calculation would count how many of the "Correct Answer" columns have text in their cells, and divide this by how many questions there are.

Example:

=COUNT([Quest 1. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 2. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 3. Correct Answer]@row...etc)

You'd list each of the Correct columns in that row (@row) with commas. The COUNT function skips blank cells so it will give you a COUNT of all the ones with content, or all your correct answers.

Then use / to divide:

=COUNT([Quest 1. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 2. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 3. Correct Answer]@row) / 3

And make that column a percent format (using the toolbar up at the top). Does that make sense?

Now, for the alert to the student, this gets tricky as you wouldn't want to sent the entire row out. I would personally set up one alert per wrong answer, sending just the relevant cells along with that specific email. This means they may get multiple emails though, if they have multiple wrong answers, so it depends on what you'd like to send. How do you want them to see their answers?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Set the column type as a single select dropdown type.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MONICA BUENDIA

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to "lock" in a user's submission once they have selected a multiple choice answer so that they can't change this choice. Currently Smartsheet forms aren't able to create a "lock" like this - the answers are only recorded once the form has been submitted.

Is there a reason why you want to display the right answer in the form as they are completing the quiz? My suggestion would be to send out an email after the row has been submitted (using an Alert Workflow) which identifies if the user selected the correct choice for each question and provides them with their overall score (using data in the sheet such as formulas to verify this).

Would that work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• MONICA BUENDIA
    edited 05/20/21
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

I see now. How would you provide a score to the quiz taker and then the department head be able to see this score as well? Do you know?

Thank you!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

No problem!

How I would do this would depend on how your sheet is set up. Are you able to provide a screen capture of the sheet? (But block out any sensitive data).

I'd have a column at the end which calculates the score, providing a percent. Then for your Department Head, I'd create a Report so it only shows the form user's name and this final score. You can embed this in a Dashboard as a Report Widget or even create Charts and Graphs for your Department Head, if they would prefer to see data displayed this way.

• MONICA BUENDIA
    Options

Genevieve,

here you go:

Thank you.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you!

Ok so the way you've done this makes it really easy to calculate the percent, but not so easy to send an alert afterwards.

Your formula calculation would count how many of the "Correct Answer" columns have text in their cells, and divide this by how many questions there are.

Example:

=COUNT([Quest 1. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 2. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 3. Correct Answer]@row...etc)

You'd list each of the Correct columns in that row (@row) with commas. The COUNT function skips blank cells so it will give you a COUNT of all the ones with content, or all your correct answers.

Then use / to divide:

=COUNT([Quest 1. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 2. Correct Answer]@row, [Quest 3. Correct Answer]@row) / 3

And make that column a percent format (using the toolbar up at the top). Does that make sense?

Now, for the alert to the student, this gets tricky as you wouldn't want to sent the entire row out. I would personally set up one alert per wrong answer, sending just the relevant cells along with that specific email. This means they may get multiple emails though, if they have multiple wrong answers, so it depends on what you'd like to send. How do you want them to see their answers?