How to setup conditional formatting comparing dates between two cells

Options

I'm looking for a way to setup a conditional formatting (I assume) comparing the dates in two columns in the same row.

Specifically, I'm working with "planned material receive dates" and "planned work dates". If the "planned work date" is before the "material receive date" in the same row, I would like the "planned work date" to be red, to make sure I don't plan the work before the material is planned to arrive.

Can anybody think of a way to do this?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Mix Denmark

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, but you need to add a so-called helper column with a formula that checks the dates and then use that in the Conditional Logic rule.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/05/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Godmorgen! @Mix Denmark

Happy to help!

Try something like this. (you can add it to a checkbox column)

=IF(OR([Planned material receive date]@row = ""; [Planned work date]@row = ""); ""; IF([Planned work date]@row < [Planned material receive date]@row; 1))

Did that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!