How to create a formula that indicates duplicates

Can someone give me guidance or instructions on the best way to do a formula that would indicate duplicate reqs. on our onboarding tracker?

This is what I'm looking to do "new checkbox column and write the formula to check the box whenever there was a duplicate and then added a conditional formatting rule to highlight the cell whenever the box was checked. "

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kaitlyn Fornes

Without seeing your column headers, I can't give you the exact formula, but here's a generic one:

=if(countif([req number]:[req number], [req number]@row)>1,1,0)

This will check the box for any row that has a req number that's listed more than once.

Then you can set your conditional formatting to highlight the cell if the box is checked. It will check the box for both rows, not just the second one.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Heather

• This is my first time using a formula on the smartsheet. Normally in excel I would do it in the top row of the cell so I apologize if this seems like a silly question but where would I type the formula at? In the cell or is there somewhere specific that I need to go to set that up?

Also my headers are Candidate name, REQ, Recruiter Status, and many others but the one I need to indicate to me is the "REQ" column.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!