Transfer sheet ownership gives "Ownership Request is Invalid" message.

Trying to transfer ownership of a sheet I own to another licensed user who I have shared the sheet to as an Admin. He requests via "Make Me the Owner" and when I click the "Accept Request" button in the email I receive, I get a message box that says "Ownership Request is Invalid. This item's ownership request is no longer valid."

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Al,

Is he an Admin of the Workspace the sheet is in? That is a requirement. The other requirements and instructions are in the link below.

Good luck.

Mark

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/520103-change-the-owner-sheet-report-dashboard

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Hi Mark,

The sheet is not in a Workspace. Also, through some additional testing, I've found the problem is not sheet specific or user specific. I've tried changing owner of a different sheet and to different users with same outcome.

Al

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. Try moving the sheet to a workspace and make the other person an admin. If all the other requirements are met for transferring ownership then call Smartsheet support. I'm curious what you find. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Will do, thanks much.

• Nadege
    Nadege ✭✭

Did this get fixed? I am having the same issue.

• No, I ended up just doing a "Save As New..." as the new owner I wanted then deleting the sheet that was owned by the owner i did not want. I was able to do that because I had not yet put this sheet into production and rolled it out to our user community.

• I am having exactly the same problem. I have transferred ownership to this other licenced account numerous times before but today I get an error message.

I shared, request ownership transfer, emails are sent and accept option selected.

Then error message "Ownership request is invalid. This item's ownership request is no longer valid"

Have have tried this in both directions; a the original owner asking the other account to be new owner; and as the new owner account requesting the transfer.

Due to the ongoing issue of emails being sent with the owners name - I transfer these smartsheets to an "anonymous" owner. I can't take the option above of saving new as.... because link has already been posted on the internal intranet for access :(

Hope someone can help

• Hi all,

There are two scenarios where I have personally seen this happen before.

If you have two Smartsheet accounts and you accept the ownership request from the email while being signed into Smartsheet in your browser under the other account, it will invalidate the link. Make sure you're currently logged in with the correct account before clicking on the link.

Another potential cause is a security setting with your email provider; sometimes email scanning tools will scan everything and make the link invalid.

If neither of this has helped, please do reach out to Smartsheet Support with the full details of the request (email addresses of the current owner & new owner, along with the sheet link).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Nadege
    Nadege ✭✭

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you very much, that worked - I thought that might have been the issue. I had two Smartsheet accounts - I sent the transfer request from the Owner account, then logged out of that account and logged into the proposed Owner account, then clicked on the transfer link in the email that I received, and it worked.

• Hi @Nadege

I'm glad you were able to resolve this! Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I had this issue as well, one generic account and one with my details. When I tried to transfer ownership to generic account I kept getting this error.

I tried logging into my account in Incognito and tried again in regular browser with generic account. Still no luck.

I then logged out of all browsers. Logged in as the generic account (already an admin on the sheet) and requested ownership of it. I logged out of generic. Logged into my account and then clicked the link to accept ownership.

This worked. So requesting ownership vs transferring ownership seems to be better option and make sure you're logged out of all of your other accounts in all browsers (incognito or not).

• My fix

Account 1- share workspace or sheet to Account 2 and make Account 2 an Admin

Log out of the Smartsheet account for Account 1 and close the browser page

Access Email attached to account 2 and accept the link to take ownership

• I had the same problem then figure out that I had to be logged in as the other user. That is the solution. Smartsheet needs to give a better error message!