Updating Approval Status Column based on two other Approvals

Options

Hello,

I have an "Approval" column that I want to automatically update to "Approved" if two other columns are also "Approved." I have tried different formulas, but am getting an error "Unparseable."

My two columns that need to be in an "approved" status are "Executive Sponsor approval" and "Additional Approvers approval" and the other values are submitted or declined. If either of these two columns is declined, then my approval status is also declined.

I found this in another chat in the forum, but I don't have blank values, so I am not able to get the formula to work: =IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Column B]@row)), "Done", IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Column B]@row)), "Awaiting Approval", IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Column A]@row)), "In Progress", "New")))

Best Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Kristina Olaussen

Try this,

=IF(AND([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Approved", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Approved"), "Approved", IF(OR([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Declined", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Declined"), "Declined", "Submitted"))

The formula above says if the two approval columns are both equal to 'Approved', your 3rd column says approved. If either other the two approval columns say 'Declined', your column says declined. Otherwise your column says 'Submitted'. If 'Submitted' isn't the right response, put it in quotes. If a blank cell is the correct response, delete any word and leave the double quotes "".

Please make sure I have the column names matching your column names. Also make sure that the words I have in quotes match your responses exactly.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF(AND([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Approved", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Approved"), "Approved", IF(OR([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Declined", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Declined"), "Declined", "In Process"))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Kristina Olaussen

Try this,

=IF(AND([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Approved", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Approved"), "Approved", IF(OR([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Declined", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Declined"), "Declined", "Submitted"))

The formula above says if the two approval columns are both equal to 'Approved', your 3rd column says approved. If either other the two approval columns say 'Declined', your column says declined. Otherwise your column says 'Submitted'. If 'Submitted' isn't the right response, put it in quotes. If a blank cell is the correct response, delete any word and leave the double quotes "".

Please make sure I have the column names matching your column names. Also make sure that the words I have in quotes match your responses exactly.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF(AND([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Approved", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Approved"), "Approved", IF(OR([Executive Sponsor approval]@row="Declined", [Additional Approvers approval]@row="Declined"), "Declined", "In Process"))

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Kristina Olaussen
    Options

@KDM Thank you so much! That worked and I tested it with declining statuses and also if its blank and submitted.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!