What formula to use for selective total sum by GEO

Options
Desmond Smith
Desmond Smith ✭✭
edited 05/20/21 in Formulas and Functions

I have a spreadsheet (see below). I'd like to create a formula on a different sheet that can pull data from this sheet and show totals by GEO. So I'd like to have one for AMER, EMEAR and one for APJC. Would I use SUMIF?

I'm new to formulas and having a hard time understanding the process when creating the formula. Seems like all of the videos I've found rush through the process.

My ultimate goal is to have a dashboard that shows all totals by GEO in a pie chart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm very NOVICE.

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes. Using the appropriate steps to create a cross sheet reference and a metrics sheet that looks like this:

GEO.....................Formula

APJC.........................f

AMERICAS...............f

EMEAR.....................f

The formula would look similar to this:

=SUMIFS({Source Sheet DOLLARS Column}, {Source Sheet GEO Column}, GEO@row)

• Desmond Smith
    Options

I hate sounding simple, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. So when I create the formula I get UNPARSABLE.

Here's what I got: =SUMIFS({TEST TEST TEST Range 1}{TEST TEST TEST Range 2},{TEST TEST TEST Range 3}))

I typed the fomula, then "Reference Another Sheet" and chose the entire row for dollars, then put in a comma and chose "Reference Another Sheet" and chose the entire GEO row, then I put in a comma and chose "Reference Another Sheet" and chose a single cell with "AMERICAS". I then added a closed parenthetical.

I got UNPARSABLE

• Desmond Smith
    Options

@Paul Newcome

I hate sounding simple, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. So when I create the formula I get UNPARSABLE.

Here's what I got: =SUMIFS({TEST TEST TEST Range 1}{TEST TEST TEST Range 2},{TEST TEST TEST Range 3}))

I typed the fomula, then "Reference Another Sheet" and chose the entire row for dollars, then put in a comma and chose "Reference Another Sheet" and chose the entire GEO row, then I put in a comma and chose "Reference Another Sheet" and chose a single cell with "AMERICAS". I then added a closed parenthetical.

I got UNPARSABLE

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You are missing a comma between the first and second ranges, the 3rd portion should either be a reference to a cell on the same sheet as the formula or "specific text", and you have one too many closing parenthesis on the end.

=SUMIFS({TEST TEST TEST Range 1}, {TEST TEST TEST Range 2}, "AMERICAS")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!