Mapping values in a multiselect field

Options

I have a form that gets submitted with a multiselect field, and I want to map the values in that multiselect to other values in a mapping sheet. So if a user submits the form with 'San Fransisco, Paris', the formula would return 'USA, France' based on the mapping table on the lefthand side of my screenshot below.

What is the best way to do this?

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @sschreiner ,

I recommend you find a different approach. You can parse out multi-select values, look them up in a table, return values and join them. However, you're going to need several helper columns and some complicated formulas. The basic solution is at:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/69275/counting-instances-across-sheets/p2c

How are you going to use countries? Can you add them to the drop down and form? Can you use multiple single select cells to gather your cities? Can the user select countries in another multi-select cell? Each if these can help get you away from the complex parsing process.

Lots of creative people in the Community. Someone may have a better idea.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!