Indent/Outdent grayed out

HI All,

I've scenario where I have a filled row, I copy it and paste it just after copied one

Then I can't indent/outdent pasted one as buttons are greyed out

This happens when I copy the row that is locked. Pasted one comes as unlocked but still I can't change its hierarchy

If I copy in same way the unlocked row, pasted one's hierarchy can be changed

Is that normal behavior? That, even if pasted row is unlocked, it's still somehow blocked from indenting?

Best

Marcin

Answers

• Hi @Marcin

Where are you pasting these new rows? Keep in mind that in order to create hierarchy, data needs to exist in both the parent and child rows. This means if you paste your information beneath an empty row, it won't be able to be indented. (See: Hierarchy: Indent or Outdent Rows).

I've tested on a sheet where I have Editor permissions, and I can copy the row information from locked row, paste it in another row, and then indent this new row (as long as there's information in the row above where I pasted).

If you're experiencing something different, I would suggest taking screen captures of each step of your process and contacting Smartsheet Support with the name of the sheet (or direct URL) so they can troubleshoot this with you in a private channel.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Marcin
    Marcin ✭✭✭

Genevieve,

Thanks.

I'm copying populated locked row & pasting just under it.

A bit confused as I just got an answer from smartsheet support that this is by design that you can't indent first row that is under locked row if not owner/admin... :-(

"At this time, shared users (with or without license) with editor permissions are unable to indent the very first row under a locked row. The reason behind that was because only the sheet owner and admins can edit locked rows. When a shared user with editor permissions tries to indent the very first row under a locked row, they are technically editing the locked row because they are trying make it a parent row (for more information"

Best

Marcin

• Hi @Marcin

My apologies! You are absolutely correct; I assumed you were pasting the new row in a completely different location (which is what I tested). You can paste this row below an unlocked row and indent it there, but as Support has indicated, if you're pasting this row directly beneath a Locked row and you only have Editor permissions you won't be able to make that locked row a Parent.

Thank you for clarifying and I'm glad you received the correct answer from Support.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• lisa g
    lisa g ✭✭

Super helpful reminder about the blank rows directly above! Thank you! 😎