Method to show comments from a sheet on a dashboard

M_L
M_L ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Is there a way to surface just the comments from a sheet into a dashboard?

Right now I have a report where the comments are seen at the row level, which is a step in the right direction. The limitation is I can only see the comments in either the report or the sheet.

The ultimate desire would be to display comments on the dashboard where the report is, and only pull in a column or two to give context. The business criteria is that we do not want all users to see the underlying sheet data, but we do want to give them visibility into the comments and conversations happening at the row level.

Perhaps I am not aware of a button or filter to allow comments on a dashboard?

Sheet:

Report:

Dashboard:

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @mlanterman

Are you able to use the Publish function in the Report? If so, you can grab the Published link and use this in a Web Content Widget which will display the Report in your Dashboard while showing all the conversations and attachments.

Publish Report:

Web Content Widget:

Let me know if this will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @mlanterman

You're correct, the Web Content Widget doesn't have the Widget Behaviour section to allow users to go to a URL when it's clicked on. This is because that type of widget provides a window to another location/URL.

Depending on what you're embedding, you could either include the link within the content itself (such as on a row in the Report), or yes, you could add a quick link through a Shortcut widget or behind an Image widget (to make it look like a button).

Please feel free to submit your enhancement request directly to our Product team through this form, here!

Thank you,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @mlanterman

Are you able to use the Publish function in the Report? If so, you can grab the Published link and use this in a Web Content Widget which will display the Report in your Dashboard while showing all the conversations and attachments.

Publish Report:

Web Content Widget:

Let me know if this will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great idea @Genevieve P - I will try it out and hope the users agree to it!

~Matt

• M_L
    M_L ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P - one last question:

Is there a way to link the web content widgets to a smartsheet report or sheet? In other dashboard widgets, you can change the widget behavior to perform an action when clicked. The web content widget does not offer this as far as I can see.

I can always add a button next to the web content widget to link to the report, but that seems like an extra step.

If there is not a way to link web content widgets to a smartsheet item, I can submit an idea?

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @mlanterman

You're correct, the Web Content Widget doesn't have the Widget Behaviour section to allow users to go to a URL when it's clicked on. This is because that type of widget provides a window to another location/URL.

Depending on what you're embedding, you could either include the link within the content itself (such as on a row in the Report), or yes, you could add a quick link through a Shortcut widget or behind an Image widget (to make it look like a button).

Please feel free to submit your enhancement request directly to our Product team through this form, here!

Thank you,

Genevieve