Using Barcode scan in form and then autofill next line

Hi Guys

I would like to know how to do the following:

On a form I would like to scan the barcode and on the next line it should autofill that barcode's Product title.

Is this possible? If yes how do i do it please?

Answers

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ledene,

The form would have to be so that the barcode scan and the product title are on the same row. When you scan a barcode it is captured as text string not as a number, meaning that the data will start with an apostrophe ( ' ). As an example a barcode/QR scan would look like '1234567 NOT 1234567. To navigate around this you would need to do one of the following things.

1. Save your Barcode Database so that primary column as the text string & a column with the Product Title. The barcode scan will be your lookup value so it would have to be stored as a text string (ex. '1234567)
    2. You could have a helper column on the form sheet referencing the barcode scan but removing the apostrophe. To do this you could use =RIGHT(Barcode@row, LEN(Barcode@row) - FIND(" ' ", Barcode@row))

Depending on if you keep the barcode value as a text sting or convert it to a number, you will still need to use an INDEX/MATCH formula linked to the database of barcode values and product names.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Ledene Langenhoven

Are you asking how to use a barcode with smartsheet, or how to populate data in additional rows? Yes you can use barcodes/QR codes with smartsheet to generate data on the same row that the form inserts. If you are trying to populate additional rows, you will need to use other methods, such as the one @Garrett Henke suggests.

If you are inquiring about how-to of barcodes, here is the how.

The instructions for using barcodes are in this smartsheet document link. You first type out the string, (like in Word or someplace) according to the direction in the help document, then p barcode generator (free online) to convert your text string into a barcode. You can then print or share the barcode image.

Sometimes you may run across special characters in column names. This table is handy for the code to use for those characters.

If you have any problems , shout out and the community will help

Kelly

• Thank you guys.

Kelly I am sorted with the scanning of the barcode let me maybe explain myself a little better:

I have predetermined barcodes that cannot be changed or altered.

I would like when my employee scan the barcode in the form the form should autofill the product title of that barcode so that she can see it in the form.

I hope that makes sense?

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately that is impossible to do on the form as that is a static page until it is submitted.

If she is using mobile, you can try building this in Card View so that formulas work correctly.