Trouble building formula with "number of stars"

Hi, I am building a training feedback analysis for my team, but having difficult with the formula to count the "star".

Looking the columns: I have no difficulties to turn the value 4 (in content satisfaction column) into 4 stars (star column).

However in the Sheet Summary, the first field is an average from the Content Satisfaction column.

In the Content Satisfaction Star, I wanted to convert the first field into star.

I use this formula, but it's #UNPARSEABLE:

=IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = "1", "One", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = "2", "Two", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = "3", "Three", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = "4", "Four", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = "5", "Five"‌‌‌‌)))))‌‌

Can you advise what went wrong?

Even when I try to "=AVG(Star:Star), there is still error.

How can I have the average to be viewed in the star symbol?

Your assistance and guide would be much apprec

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Vivien Chong

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = 1, "One", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = 2, "Two", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = 3, "Three", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = 4, "Four", IF([How satisfied were you with the training content?]# = 5, "Five")))))

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Vivien Chong
    Vivien Chong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå , I am doing fine here. Thanks.

I edited the formula, it is still #UNPARSEABLE.

This is a Symbol field with the "5 stars".

I wondered what could have gone wrong here.

• Hi @Vivien Chong

I'm surprised to see that error since your formula lights up correctly. I also tested it on my own sheet and the logic is set up correctly.

Your field could just be displaying the error from a caching issue from the previous formula. Could you try logging out/in again to see if this refreshes your sheet? Or try adding a new Summary Field as a Symbol field and add in the formula to a fresh field (deleting the old one).

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Vivien Chong
    Vivien Chong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P and @Andrée Starå thanks for your assistance.

I finally figured out why the formula didn't work in my case.

Because my [How satisfied were you with the training content?]# is a formula to calculate the average from the sheet. And the average sum may have some decimal points in it. But I use the decrease decimal to remove the decimal points.

I have changed the formula to less than (<), rather than equals to (=) and it works. Thanks.

• I'm glad you were able to figure it out! Thanks for sharing your solution.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!