Sharing Editable Rows From A Master Smartsheet

Hello,

We have a large grid format sheet which we use to track all of our projects we're working on. We want to share to each of our team just the rows that are assigned to them, to allow them to update/edit them yet not view the entire sheet (as some people are contractors).

I have tried creating a report, but cannot find how to share it as editable and lock the filter (otherwise they can just remove the filter and see everything).

Talked to Smartsheet about Dynamic View but all i got was some fluffy language and a upgrade fee of several thousand plus a setup fee of a similar amount....and not sure that it can even do what we want it to?!

Hit a bit of a brick wall?

Ideas please!

Many thanks.

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/15/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Trent Simpkin

Hope you are fine, you can create a report and share it with your team as editors and add a filter on that report as follows:

and share the underline sheet with your team as Editors and they will never be able to remove the filter, in this way each user when he open this report will see only the rows assigned to him.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/15/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Trent Simpkin

Hope you are fine, you can create a report and share it with your team as editors and add a filter on that report as follows:

and share the underline sheet with your team as Editors and they will never be able to remove the filter, in this way each user when he open this report will see only the rows assigned to him.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Really appreciate the reply @Bassam Khalil , can you further explain how to do 'share the underline sheet with your team as Editors and they will never be able to remove the filter'?

Do i share the report, or the main sheet? With the filter on or off?

Many thanks!

Trent

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Trent Simpkin

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

You'd have to share the underlying data, so there is a risk that they can access others rows.

Which Smartsheet Plan do you have now? If you have Enterprise or higher, you could explore using WorkApps.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello Andree,

We are on a Business Plan. I'm still testing but @Bassam Khalil 's suggestion seems to be working!

Cheers

• Hi both @Bassam Khalil & @Andrée Starå

That didn't work as well as I thought it would. As soon as we share them the underlying sheet, this grants them access to the whole sheet so even though the filter is blocked they can still access all the data. I don't want them seeing the full sheet data, just whats assigned to them.

Any tips?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Trent Simpkin 

Then you need to go with Workapps Or Dynamic View Option. this is the best solution for your issue.

PMP Certified

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Trent Simpkin

I agree with Bassam, but for WorkApps, you have to be on Enterprise or higher, so that isn't an option with your current Business plan.

So the solution would be to use Dynamic View or maybe one of the following.

• Multiple sheets (one for each of the team members)
    • I recently developed a (what I call) Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it's using cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available. And could also allow adding information as well.

What do you think?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks for the help, I'll continue my talks with Smartsheet about Dynamic View.

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Trent Simpkin

You're more than welcome!