How to use MATCH function on multiple columns at the same time?

I've used the MATCH function before on the "City" and "CityMATCH" column. It worked out well. This is the formula that I used: =MATCH(City1, CityMATCH:CityMATCH, 0).

I've now added another column called "Number" and "NumberMATCH." What I want to know is whether "3" in the "Number" column and "Chicago" in the "City" column matches anything in the "NumberMATCH" and "CityMATCH" columns.

The result should tell me that "2 Chicago" has no match, because there is no "2 Chicago" in the "NumberMATCH" and "CityMATCH" columns. However, it should tell me that "3 Chicago" does have a match and it is in row 2. I tried combining the AND and MATCH functions together but it didn't give me the result that I want. Can anyone please help me?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The easiest way to do this would be to insert a text/number column and then use this...

=NumberMATCH@row + "" + CityMATCH@row

Then you can use something along these lines to get the row number of the match...

=MATCH(Number@row + "" + City@row, [Number/City]:[Number/City], 0)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The easiest way to do this would be to insert a text/number column and then use this...

=NumberMATCH@row + "" + CityMATCH@row

Then you can use something along these lines to get the row number of the match...

=MATCH(Number@row + "" + City@row, [Number/City]:[Number/City], 0)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!