What formula to use to show how status changes depending on days prior to due date

Theresa Bruns
Theresa Bruns ✭✭
edited 06/22/21 in Formulas and Functions

What formula would I use to show the following:

• Project not started 20+ days prior to due date, status = green
  • Project not started 15-19 days prior to due date, status = yellow
  • Project not started < 15 days prior to due date, status = red

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Hi @Profe17Β 

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to a column format formula:

=IFERROR(IF(TODAY() - [due date]@row < 15, "Red", IF(TODAY() - [due date]@row > 20, "Green", "Yellow")), "")

the following screenshots shows the result:

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

β˜‘οΈ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Hi @Profe17

Hope you are fine, Please try the following formula:

=IF(AND(TODAY() - [due date]@row < 20, TODAY() - [due date]@row > 15, Status@row = "not started"), "Yellow", IF(AND(TODAY() - [due date]@row < 15, Status@row = "not started"), "Red", IF(AND(TODAY() - [due date]@row > 20, Status@row = "not started"), "Green", "")))

1. and for your question " How can I add in absolute value to the above formula?" use the function ABS Function

PMP Certified

β˜‘οΈ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Hi @Profe17Β 

Hope you are fine, please try the following formula and convert it to a column format formula:

=IFERROR(IF(TODAY() - [due date]@row < 15, "Red", IF(TODAY() - [due date]@row > 20, "Green", "Yellow")), "")

the following screenshots shows the result:

PMP Certified

• Theresa Bruns
    Theresa Bruns ✭✭

Thank you! That worked!

• Theresa Bruns
    Theresa Bruns ✭✭

This formula worked, but I now need to bring in more information and i'm wondering if that is possible.

My question is two parts.

1. How can I add in absolute value to the above formula?
    2. Can I add in another variable that would include status? Please see below
      1. Today is 15-19 days prior to due date and status = "not started" so health is "Yellow"
      2. Today is < 15 days prior to due date and status = "not started" so health is "red"
      3. Today is 20+ days prior to due date and status = "not started" so health is "green"
  • Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

Hi @Profe17

Hope you are fine, Please try the following formula:

=IF(AND(TODAY() - [due date]@row < 20, TODAY() - [due date]@row > 15, Status@row = "not started"), "Yellow", IF(AND(TODAY() - [due date]@row < 15, Status@row = "not started"), "Red", IF(AND(TODAY() - [due date]@row > 20, Status@row = "not started"), "Green", "")))

1. and for your question " How can I add in absolute value to the above formula?" use the function ABS Function

PMP Certified

• Theresa Bruns
    Theresa Bruns ✭✭

That worked perfectly! Thanks again!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Profe17

You are welcome and I will be happy to help you any time.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!