COUNT Checkbox Column

Options
A Rose
A Rose ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/22/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi,

Any Formula to count how many rows are checked off in a checkbox column?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey

I assumed you were not counting checkboxes in a different sheet than where your formula resides

=COUNTIFS([your checkbox column name]:[your checkbox column name], 1)

This says countif when your checkbox column = 1 (which means it is checked). You must overwrite my column name placeholder formula with the name of your actual checkbox column. You only need the square brackets if the column name contain numbers, spaces or special characters. If the name is a single word it's just

=COUNTIFS(Name:Name, 1)

cheers

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey

I assumed you were not counting checkboxes in a different sheet than where your formula resides

=COUNTIFS([your checkbox column name]:[your checkbox column name], 1)

This says countif when your checkbox column = 1 (which means it is checked). You must overwrite my column name placeholder formula with the name of your actual checkbox column. You only need the square brackets if the column name contain numbers, spaces or special characters. If the name is a single word it's just

=COUNTIFS(Name:Name, 1)

cheers

• Andrew McCreath
    Options

Hi @Kelly Moore

Building on this, is there a way to count checkboxes in another sheet?

We have 5 Activity Types logged across the teams, and a checkbox if it's specific to one team.

Ideally, I would like to sum by type if checked/ not checked.

TIA

Andrew

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Andrew McCreath

Yes, we can collect information from other sheets using Cross Sheet formulas. Alternatively, if you are bringing the information into a metrics sheet on a dashboard, you can also collect the value into a report and group it/summarize it and present data on dashboards that way.

Here is info about the cross sheet formulas and report Grouping and Summaries

Report link here

If you are only using the information for dashboards and metrics, personally I would use a report. If the data is going to be further manipulated, then I would consider bringing the value into a sheet to further manipulate. Let me know and I'll be happy to assist if needed. If you decide on cross sheet formulas, if you can provide screenshots of the destination sheet (where you want the data to end up) and the source sheet (where we're pulling data from), I'll help you build the cross reference formula.

cheers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Andrew McCreath

Were you able to get your problem resolved? Shout out if you need any assistance

• Lior Molvin
    Options

I'm trying this and I keep getting the dreaded unparseable: =COUNTIF([Too Many OPs]:[Too Many OPs]), 1)

Any thoughts on what I'm doing incorrectly?

• A Rose
    A Rose ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

remove the : )

=COUNTIF([Too Many OPs]:[Too Many OPs], 1)

• A Rose
    A Rose ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lior Molvin let me know if that helped.

Thank you! 😃

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!