Search and replace in a rollup

I am using a smartsheet rollup template and have created multiple formulas tying to another sheet. Now I need to change a criteria within a formula that I'm using in multiple fields. Is there a way to search and replace in a rollup sheet? I've tried Control F, which brings up the Find/Replace with box, but it states "no matches found", so it doesn't seem to be reading within my formulas.

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way to do a find/replace within formulas, but if the formula is applied to every cell within the column, you can make the change in one cell then right click and select the option to make it a column formula.

Or are the formulas you want to change in different columns? If so, then that is a relatively manual process which can only be sped up sometimes by using copy/paste if the change is going to be exactly the same across all formulas.

• Unfortunately my formula is similar but not identical for several groups of data. So I wanted to copy from one set of data to another and just change one criteria (but in 2 places within my formula), but across the new set of data. It sounds like I will have to manually change. Thank you.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I have run into the same issue before, and it is always a bit of a pain. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• I had the same problem. I solved it by copying a small set of formulas that I needed to replicate to an excel sheet. I then added an apostrophe before each equal sign ('=).

I was then able to make bulk changes to my formulas. When done, I copied and pasted back into Smartsheet.

For me, Viola!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!