Automation without a condition

I have a sheet that is assigned to one person. I want to set up an Automation each week with a link to the form to fill out, which in turn will add a row to the sheet. This will be a new row each time, so there is nothing in the sheet to trigger off of.

I've tried alerts with the form link in the notice, I've tried reminders and I even tried update, but all want a condition. It does not run if that condition is left blank either.

Is there a way to do this? I simply want them to use the form (via a link sent) to fill it out and add a new row to the sheet.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrea Westrich

I hope you're well and safe!

You can change the trigger to When date es reached and then run one part to a recurring schedule.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrea Westrich
    Andrea Westrich ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå,

Thank you for your reply and I hope you are well too!

The trigger is not the problem, I can set that up to run once or weekly starting with a certain date. However, without a condition, it does not run. See my attached screenshot.

I have tried this a few ways without success. This one I removed the condition and yet it did not run. I have tried to have a condition of a field is blank, that does not work either. I have tried Alerts, reminders and updates. No success.

Any other ideas or do you see anything wrong here?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrea,

How about setting up a separate notification grid with columns for the person to notify and the link to their form. Set up an automation to run at the frequency you want if the Name isn't blank. Send a message only with the link to their form in the body.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrea Westrich
    Andrea Westrich ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mark Cronk,

Are you suggesting I create a column with their name in it and make that the condition? Wouldn't that mean I'd have to populate their name every week? Can you elaborate?

This sheet is for one person only, I could put a name column in, but it's not needed for any other purpose. I have the trigger set up - it's set to once a week at a certain time. I have the message with the form link set up and that will work fine. I just can't get the automation to run if I don't establish a condition (cell is blank does not work).

How can I get the automation to run to add a new row and nothing is in that row?

What do you mean by grid notification?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Andrea,

I'm suggesting you create a new grid (sheet) just to initiate the form sends. The sheet would have 2 columns: name (contact) and form link. Your automation would trigger on a recurring time/day and send a message (use message only option) to anyone listed on the sheet. Your message would be the prompt to submit their form and include the link in column [form link]. Since each person has their own sheet they have their own form. The form initiation sheet would have everyone's name on it that is to receive the promot to complete a form. The individual links take them to the right form.

The automation will run on the form initiation sheet and not your base sheets. By separating the 2 your condition issue becomes easy - name is not blank.

If people need reminders at different intervals you can do that too by including a timing column.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Have you tried deleting the "Condition" field in the workflow setup screen (three dots top right under Condition)? It took me a while to realize you can remove conditions.