Dashboard/Report link issue

Hi everyone,

A person on my team has created a dashboard with a report widget that has a link at the bottom on it.

The report itself has over 700 line items, which is over the 150 max per this article: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482269-using-report-widgets

We would like to remove the link. Alternatively, how do I get the whole report (all rows) in the dashboard?

By the way, the option of using the report itself as a link to it has not been enabled. I'm wondering if because the report is over 150 rows, that this link is automatic and cannot be removed.

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks

~KC

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @KCS

No problem, I'm happy to clarify.

1. Yes. The published view would be visible to anyone who has access to the dashboard, regardless of sharing permissions on the report or source sheet.
    2. Yes! A published view is a live view of the source report. New content will appear as the report is updated.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @KCS

No, not at all! If you add columns or rows, or change the filter, or update the Grouping in the Report... all of these changes will automatically reflect in the Published view.

This Published view is a window into the Report, showing exactly how the Report is configured at that point in time. You won't need to create a new link at all, or adjust the widget. Everything will pull through automatically!

You can learn more about publishing here: Publish a Sheet, Report, or Dashboard

The difference between using a Published view and a Report widget is more about how the data is displayed. The Report widget has a cleaner look, whereas the Web Content Widget shows the entire web page (header and all). Additionally, you cannot set a "Current User" filter on a Web Content Widget. It will display the same Report no matter who is looking at the Dashboard.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @KCS

Instead of using a Report Widget (which will only show 150 rows and has a link out to the Report, as you've experienced), what about Publishing the source report and embedding it as a Web Content Widget (see here) instead?

The Publish link (see here) would provide a window to how the Report looks when you open it up in your browser, allowing the max rows in one view to be the Report's limit of 2,500 rows. It also will not have a link to the Report itself (unless you intentionally added that into the Report, or as a Shortcut Widget next to it).

Let me know if you want to see screen captures of how to set this up and I'd be happy to help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• KCS
    KCS ✭✭

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't Published anything before so I have a few questions.

1. If I were to publish the report and add the report to the dashboard, will anyone who has the link to the dashboard be able to view the report?
    2. If I were to publish the report, will new content added to the source Smartsheet still show up on the report (and the dashboard)?

Please note that the people who need to view the entirety of the report on the dashboard do NOT have any access to the report or the source Smartsheet (nor should they!).

Thanks

~KC

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @KCS

No problem, I'm happy to clarify.

1. Yes. The published view would be visible to anyone who has access to the dashboard, regardless of sharing permissions on the report or source sheet.
    2. Yes! A published view is a live view of the source report. New content will appear as the report is updated.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• KCS
    KCS ✭✭

Thank you Genevieve!

So the only disadvantage to publishing the report would be if I needed to make changes to the report (i.e. add a column) at which point I would have to unpublish the report, make the change, and then republish it. Is that correct?

Thanks

~KC

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @KCS

No, not at all! If you add columns or rows, or change the filter, or update the Grouping in the Report... all of these changes will automatically reflect in the Published view.

This Published view is a window into the Report, showing exactly how the Report is configured at that point in time. You won't need to create a new link at all, or adjust the widget. Everything will pull through automatically!

You can learn more about publishing here: Publish a Sheet, Report, or Dashboard

The difference between using a Published view and a Report widget is more about how the data is displayed. The Report widget has a cleaner look, whereas the Web Content Widget shows the entire web page (header and all). Additionally, you cannot set a "Current User" filter on a Web Content Widget. It will display the same Report no matter who is looking at the Dashboard.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• KCS
    KCS ✭✭

Thank you Genevieve! This is exactly what we need. I appreciate your time and help!

~KC

• Genevieve P.

No problem at all! 🙂

• Genevieve P.

@KCS My apologies! I just double checked this behaviour in our new, updated version of Dashboards, and you're actually able to specify how many rows are shown from a Report Widget, now. However the maximum you can specify is 500, so you may still prefer to use a Published version.

• KCS
    KCS ✭✭

Wow Genevieve! Thanks for following up. We will probably go ahead with the published version for this situation, however knowing that we can include up to 500 rows is extremely helpful for the future.