A Beginner's question coming from a self-taught 4+ year Smartsheet user...

AndyFAFF
AndyFAFF ✭✭
edited 09/13/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Apologies for the basic nature of this question. I am a Director of a NP that sends disadvantaged kids to sleep-away camps. I have three main areas of concentration: 1. The Camps (who offer the scholarships), 2. Our Educators (who select the camper), and 3. Our campers.

Each of the three concentrations are populated with dates, comments, grade levels, session lengths, etc... Up to this point, I've created several "temporary" sheets (so I can focus on one task at hand without getting overwhelmed, for example, placing new campers into spots that are offered by camps...it feels like I'm running the NFL Draft!) and also, one major sheet that has most of all three components. Many times I will "Hide" most columns to keep them from distracting me, and also, for ease of navigating across many columns.

I know there must be a better way to manage this so that several smaller sheets can populate into my major sheet. This is probably a basic skill that Database users master week one, but, since I'm self-taught and have pored over tutorials and articles, I've managed how I've managed. It makes sense, it's accurate...but I KNOW I'm using a pinky's worth of Smartsheet's capability.

If any one could refer me to a clear and approachable set of Smartsheet's instructions, or best practices, or formulas...I want to learn this and make Smartsheet work alongside me, instead of me playing "MacGyver" trying to create a database with bandaids and chewing gum. Thank you for any advice, direction or help you may provide.

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AndyFAFF

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored the templates/template sets in the Solution Center?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you for your suggestion. I have looked through the Templates and Template sets and tried to think of my data as if it were a: Company, Family, CRM, etc... in order to "tailor" it to what I need. Basically, I need to Track each Camp, Each Educator, and Each Camper--and all the relationships between them. I'll keep looking. I just didn't know if made sense (or is possible) to have (for example) Sheet A "Tuitions and Costs" (Each camp's summer tuition and associated costs) and Sheet B "Campers" (List of camper ages, sessions, and educator who places them) and Sheet C "Educators" (how many "spots" are they given to place children, how many kids are on their wishlist, which child has been placed, etc...). I would like to have a MASTER SHEET that pulls from all of these individual sheets. Is this possible?

Just trying to work as smart as possible.

Thank you so much.

Andy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@AndyFAFF

Happy to help!

Yes, it's possible to have a Master Sheet, but if that would work depends on multiple things.

• Who should have access (view, edit)?
    • What should they be able to edit?
    • Which Smartsheet Plan do you have? That affects what is possible or not.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée,

I am a crew of 1 and it's only me entering the data, managing the data, and for the most part, seeing the data. It's just the way that I need to keep it all together. I do a lot with color coding, conditional formatting and filters. For example, I have filters for each of my 35 teachers, when I want to see their kids, I run that filter. I set up check boxes so that I know if Student A has been registered, if so, I check the box and the row turns green (for go). I'm a visual guy.

I have the Basic Business plan for 3 users. I can set up dashboards, but none of the other options, I'm afraid.