Return value based on a MAX date and other criteria

Me again

Is it possible to create a summary report that shows the individual rows of data based on the latest date (Date of Completion) and other columns so as to only show 1 row per location (multiple locations can occur in a single building) - See example image below

The items in green have the latest dates against their respective locations and would pull through from the Source Data (top) to the Summary Report (bottom)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can filter on multiple columns (up to 3). If you wanted a report, you could inset a checkbox column and use something along the lines of...

=IF([Date of Checks]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Date of Checks]:[Date of Checks], Building:Building, Building@row, Location:Location, Location@row)), 1)

This will check the box on every row for the most recent update for that particular building/location combo.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Did you manually highlight those rows or are they highlighted through some kind of conditional formatting?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Hi Paul

The colours are just to show which ones should carry through, so yes manually :)

I'm going to test if it's possible to sort by multiple columns i.e. primary sort = Date and secondary sort = Location and see if it gives me what I need

If however, my original method is possible I would love to try that as well to see which provides the best solution

Thanks

Dan

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You can filter on multiple columns (up to 3). If you wanted a report, you could inset a checkbox column and use something along the lines of...

=IF([Date of Checks]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Date of Checks]:[Date of Checks], Building:Building, Building@row, Location:Location, Location@row)), 1)

This will check the box on every row for the most recent update for that particular building/location combo.

10xViz.com

• Hi @Paul Newcome

I tried that but I only get the UNPARSEABLE error message

Is there perhaps a statement missing for the IF or MAX values?

Thanks

Dan

• @Paul Newcome - I think it got it working - missed a bracket!

I'm guessing the COLLECT function only works with 2 critieria?

Thanks so much again

Dan

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

The COLLECT function can work with one range/criteria set, but it does require at least two ranges. The first range is the data you want to collect to be evaluated by the main function (in this case the MAX function). After that it is range/criteria set(s) to determine which rows from the first range should be pulled.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!