Reference Processing

Hello,

I created three Cross Sheet References, and I am getting a 'Processing' status:

I was wondering, how long does it usually take to process Cross Sheet References? I couldn't find any information on the forums, and I created these references about two hours ago.

Thanks,

Ben

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

Hope you are fine, Active references are up to date, and processing references are loading updates from the source data. It shouldn't take long unless there are problems with the source sheet. please read the following article it will help you to understand Sheet Reference Manager

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Hi @Bassam Khalil

My references have still been processing for over 24 hours. I referenced a bunch of columns that were linked from another Smartsheet. Could that be the issue?

Benjamin O'Leary

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Benjamin O'Leary

24 hours unreasonable time, try to delete all reference and create it one by one and check after each to define which cause this issue.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• I tried that, and I have the same issue. I even tried using a VLOOKUP and I got an INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET error:

• Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? I am trying to reference five checkmark columns from one Smartsheet into a single dropdown column in another Smartsheet. I've been struggling to find any concrete answers online.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

If you can share me as an admin on a copy of your sheet (after removing any sensitive data) I will try to help solving this issue.

PMP Certified

• Hi @Bassam Khalil

Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with any administrative privilege's; company policy. All I can say is that I am trying to refer to five columns of checkmark box data into a single column with Yes or No dropdown options. I don't know if that is possible.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Benjamin O'Leary

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots and the formulas you're trying? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello @Andreea Iuras

I have two Smartsheets; one Smartsheet has five checkbox columns:

And the other Smartsheet has one single-option dropdown column where users can select Yes or No:

I am trying to take the data present in the five checkmark columns and combining them into the Yes or No column. I tried to do so with a Cross-Sheet Reference, but the reference endlessly processes. I tried a bunch of formulas (such as VLOOKUP), but I always get #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET errors.

Thank You, and have a good weekend.

Benjamin O'Leary

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Benjamin O'Leary 

what is the condition that will define when the single-option dropdown column where users can select to be Yes or No?

is that when all 5 checkbox are selected or a part of it ( 2 Or 3 )?

PMP Certified

• Annaleah Morrow
    Annaleah Morrow ✭✭✭✭✭

I am having the same issue where the sheet reference is showing processing for well over 24 hours. There are other sheets (created from Control Center, but unfortunately the important rows were pasted over) that appear to have the same references that show in use. We have deleted and re-added several times.

• I am getting the same issue where sheet references are endlessly processing. As suggested in the discussion, I've tried deleting and re-adding, but it still remains processing.

Surprisingly, I'm using the processing reference in a formula in the destination sheet and it is updating along with the associated dashboard. What does 'Processing' mean, and would my data not update in this status?

Did any of you had the status update to 'Active' at a later date? I still need to add several more references, but relucant as I'm unsure what its actually doing in the formula if its in 'Processing' status.

• I have created a cross reference through the API and I have the same problem: 'Status processing'.

This prevents us from updating formulas with cross-references through the API.

Could someone please explain how the reference processing works?

Using the API, is it possible to update a formula containing cross-sheet references?

Thank you very much in advance 🤗

• ddt
    ddt ✭✭

I am having this exact same problem, references processing indefinitely. Apparently this is an issue that was never resolves as I don't see any resolution to this topic?