Contains feature

Bruce Case
Bruce Case ✭✭✭✭✭

I need assistance with a formula.

In my master sheet, I have a Contact column, where the formula lives. Here is the formula I have at the moment, which does work as it takes the value of the Workstream column over to a secondary sheet where I match the Workstream in order to get the appropriate Contact. =IFERROR(INDEX({Contact}, MATCH(Workstream@row, {Workstream}, 0)), "")

In a secondary sheet, I have columns for Workstream and Contact. This allows me to add Workstreams and their appropriate Owner.

My issue is, the business now wants to make the Workstream column multiple select. With that, there might be 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Workstreams, therefore, the formula should go get all appropriate Owners.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

You cannot use a formula to populate multiple useable contacts in a single cell. It will display the names as a text string, but won't be recognized as individual contacts by things such as automations or items being filtered by "current user".

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

You cannot use a formula to populate multiple useable contacts in a single cell. It will display the names as a text string, but won't be recognized as individual contacts by things such as automations or items being filtered by "current user".

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Bruce Case
    Bruce Case ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks what I was seeing as well. Figures I would be trying to do something that doesn't exist. I guess my option would be to have the Owner Populated as a Text string, then handle the communications rules, per Workstream, within Automation Rules. Thanks

• Bruce Case
    Bruce Case ✭✭✭✭✭

I have changed my Contact column back text, but now I'm not able to get back to the formula I had that would simply add the names, with a comma separator.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look through THIS THREAD where we used a JOIN/DISTINCT/COLLECT.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!