Open Update Form - Restrict certain values from editing

Hi

When you "Request an Update" in a workflow and the email is received by the intended party, is there a way to restrict which of the form responses they can edit when they're taken to the data grid?

Currently they can amend everything that is in the grid but I only want them to be able to edit 2 new columns with their name and accept status

I tried with a restricted account but that didn't work and I'm not sure what else can be done

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Tags:

Answers

• Have you tried using form to request for an update, that way you can focus on the columns which the user is going to modify and restrict the access to the other ones !

• Hi Cristobal

Not sure I understand what you mean

Do you mean create a form which requests an update from the named person when something changes and restrict the columns within the grid? If so, I don't think that will work as I do not want users to have to go back to the grid

Ideally, they will get the list of questions and answers in the email where they can then click the update button and only update sections I have given them access to as they need to know what they are reviewing and approving

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Daniel Barrett

I hope you're well and safe!

You can limit what they should be able to update either by locking the columns or by changing the settings in the Update Request and set what columns should be included.

Make sense?

Would that work? 

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå

Does that work for the link they get when they click the "Open Update Form" as currently the recipient can amend anything

Perhaps some additional background might help (apologies for the after-the-fact)

Currently a form is used to fill in validation checks around a building and a series of questions are then sent to my grid

My grid has 2 additional columns that are not questions on the form which are "Manager Comments" and "Manager Approved" which they need to add once they have read all of the responses and make their decision

The email notification they receive has all of the Q&As from the form and my 2 columns of which I just want them to be able to update the last 2 whilst still being able to read and not edit the responses from the other questions

Can you lock columns in the grid which then transfers over to Update Response so that they become read only?

Thanks again for your help

Dan

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!