If a postal code doesn't match another line item for the same employee ID - check a box

Hello! I am trying to come up with a formula in the Postal column that will look at the Emp ID, compare the postal code to ensure it matches on each line with the same Emp ID. If it doesn't, then to check the Attention: Zip Code box.

** I am going to need to do this for the Work City/State as well as the Designated column matching the Pay Rate column. I think if I can get some assistance with one of the formulas I should be able to figure the others out. :)

Let me know if you have questions and thank you so much!

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Heather Mize

Hope you are fine, did you have another sheet containing a list of postal code and you need to check if the new entry in this sheet is correct and check the box?

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Heather Mize
    Heather Mize ✭✭✭✭

Hi there! No, I need to compare the postal code in two or more rows with the same Employee ID to make sure they match each other. If they don't then to check a box for Attention: Zip Code.

For instance, below, we have 4 line items for one person. The City is Atlanta and the State is GA and Postal code is 30339. Since there is also a line item that is Irvine CA 92606 I would need the box checked Attention: Zip Code for that because it needs to be reviewed. (I'll create an automation to go out to the appropriate person to research the issue).

• Heather Mize
    Heather Mize ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to create a formula that will look at the rows associated with the same employee ID and view the field for the postal code and if they don't match, make a check in the box in the helper column? (pic above)

I really appreciate the assistance!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!