Conditional Copy from Sheet A to Sheet B

Hi everyone - have looked through the forums for items like "conditional cell linking" (which would be awesome), but cannot find what i am looking for; not sure if this is possible, super complex, or something very basic/simple that i am glossing over.

Essentially, i am trying to move data entered in "tableA" to "tableB" based on a condition in "tableA" column "Type" - for example, i want to move data from the "Item" column in "tableA" to the "Task Name" column in "tableB" where the "Type" is Action. The kicker is, i would like for "tableB" to automatically update when new rows are added as well as when data is edited/changed in existing rows. Tried vlookup, tried index/collect, tried a variation of workflow automation, but just can't quite figure it out. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! :)

tableA:

tableB:

Thanks!

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Chad Luikart

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Make sense?

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée! Thank you for the response. I am trying to fill "Task Name" with "Item" but only when "Type" is labeled as Action. If I do a VLOOKUP by "Action", it only returns the first result which is "Task A." I had tried INDEX/COLLECT but the variable row_index had to be the specific row; I tried to add a helper column to generate a row number.

1) generate row number: =COUNTIFS([Any Column]$1:[Any Column]@row, OR(ISBLANK(@cell), NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)))

2) INDEX/COLLECT: =IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({Item}, {Type}, "Action"), 1), "")

...issue is the "1" in the INDEX/COLLECT formula; I had tried referencing the helper column in the first table so that the value increased as the formula was dragged down, but alas that did not work. If I can get the row_index value to be dynamic and increase as the formula is dragged down, I believe that would solve the issue. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!