Allowing people to edit reports without having access to the main sheet

HI All,

Is there any way that I can share reports with people and give them the ability to edit information through these reports without sharing the main sheet with them?

I have sensitive date on the main sheet that i do not want them having visibility of but would like them to be able to update a number of key fields of this data.

Regards

Answers

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately not. To access a report the user must have access to the underlying sheet.

This has been raised several times and suggestions such as having a 'hidden' sharing state for the sheet would solve this.

You could achieve this using Dynamic View but that has its own issues and comes at an additional cost.

We tried Dynamic view for a year for exactly this reason and we did not continue with it as the users did not like the limitations with it, such as conditional formatting and no card view. We eventually had to expose the sheet to all the users and that caused issues with accessing sensitive information as you point out.

It is a serious issue that SmartSheet does not seem interested in addressing.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Thanks for your reply Frank. Do you recommend any other way of managing this as a workaround?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kegan Copas

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Frank Falco's excellent advice/answer.

Another option (if you have Enterprise or higher) could be to use the WorkApps feature instead.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KRichard
    KRichard ✭✭✭

It's really inconvenient not to be able to edit the report without access to the base sheet.