Is there a way to create a report from another report?

Options

I have several dozen project sheets that I aggregate in multiple reports. Each time a new project is added to our portfolio, I need to remember to update each individual report to include the new project sheet. If I could create a single report that aggregates and then build individual reports from that it would be easier and less error prone than what I am doing today.

Any other ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Ronald. I think I understand what you're looking for, but I have a few questions for you!

You said:

Each time a new project is added to our portfolio, I need to remember to update each individual report to include the new project sheet.

Is each new project that's added part of one large Workspace (or even one Folder), or does each project potentially have its own Workspace?

This Help article from Smartsheet "Select Source Sheets for Report Builder" goes over what you're discussing. It has this tip:

• "To have the report automatically include new sheets, you can reference an entire workspace. When a new sheet is added to the workspace, the report will reference it automatically. More on workspaces can be found in the Managing Items in a Workspace help article."

If every project is within one Workspace, you could set up the Report to view all Sheets that are within a Workspace. You can do the same with a Folder. If not, read on. Otherwise that should solve your issue.

The Smartsheet hierarchy of items is as follows:

1. Workspace
    2. Folders
    3. Sheets/Reports/Dashboards

Unfortunately, there's no current way to auto-add a sheet (or folder, or workspace) to a report UNLESS the Sheet or Folder is within a selected Workspace or Folder for a report. Does that make sense? Even when using the API, there's no option for an "Update Report" option. Sadly, there's just no current way to automatically add any additional separate items to a Report.

You can submit an enhancement request for this feature. I think it'd be helpful and it's a personal pain point of mine as well. I found this post from 2019 that's similar to your request.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Ronald Moyer
    Options

Thanks Brett!

This is very helpful. I do have all the project sheets in folders in single workspace. I'll review the articles you referenced and give them a try.

Ron

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ronald Moyer

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Brett's excellent advice/answer.

There actually is a way to automate it by using the Premium App, Control Center.

Is that an option?

Let me know if you'd want to explore it further.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ronald Moyer
    Ronald Moyer ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Andree -

We don't currently have Control Center, but I am working to add to next year's budget. Brett's suggestion worked for now, so I'm good.

Ron

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ronald Moyer

Happy to help!

Yes, try to get Control Center added to the budget or, even better, Smartsheet Advance.

It's fantastic!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.