Can I only show the year from the date in another column

Christopher Neal
Christopher Neal ✭✭✭
edited 07/29/21 in Formulas and Functions

I just want the year from [Completed Date] but not able to figure it out.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Chris, that's because the column you're utilizing for inputting in the YEAR() function is a "Date" type column. When you're inputting just a year, say "1999", it invalidates the column's rule of showing a "Date" value.

You'll need to change the column type to "Text/Number", and the =YEAR([Completed Date]@row) function will work.

My "Completed Year" column is a "Text/Number" type column, which gets the below value:

If this completes your question, please mark "Yes" below - it helps others find this solution (and Google searches!)

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!