Communication between 3 sheets

Options

Hello and Help...

Were are trying to do the following and I just can't wrap my head around it.

There are 3 sheets that we'd like to communicate with one another.

1. Truckload Inventory Log - A virtual parking lot of where loads are being held
  2. Receiving Log - A chronological log of loads received
  3. Shipping Log - A chronological log of loads sent out.

Basically, we'd like the shipping log to communicate with the Truckload Inventory Log to show where the load is at. A "slot" column would communicate with the T.I.L and pull the BOL number into it.

Once the load is sent out then the Shipping log would communicate with the T.I.L. and remove it from the log.

Is this possible ?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Vicatumok

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, it sounds like we should be able to use cross-sheet formulas to connect the sheets.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Vicatumok
    Options

So once a load is received it is logged into the Receiving sheet. From there we need the Slot number to communicate with the Truckload Inventory sheet to populate the reference number into the corresponding slot number. Once the load is sent out from the Shipping Log it would remove it from the Truckload Inventory sheet leaving the slot blank. I went ahead and sent you the sample workspace.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Vicatumok

What if you set up the Truckload Inventory Log to be a Report instead of a Sheet?

You can have this Report based off of the Receiving Log to automatically pull in rows that meet your criteria (for example, if they have a BOL number).

Then you could just set up a helper column in the Receiving Log that looks at the Shipping Log to see if it's sent out. Then you can use this Helper Column as part of the Filter of the Report, so if the Shipping Log says it's Shipped, this row will automatically disappear.

In this instance you would just need one cross-sheet INDEX(MATCH formula to pull through the Shipping Log status into the Receiving Log sheet.

An INDEX(MATCH works like this:

=INDEX({Column with value to return}, MATCH([Value to match]@row, {Column with value to match in other sheet}, 0))

Let me know if this would work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!