Cell History Changing Due to Time Zone for Column Formula?

Options

Hi,

I have a column level formula and the oddest thing is happening. My cell value keeps changing to a swapping date when the actual cell containing the date has not changed (cell history checked). I'm hunching that a user is using different timezone date format which is why the dates flip between MM/DD and DD/MM and back and forth. Below is my formula.

Column Formula: ="Cancelled Sale: " + [Village ID]@row + CHAR(10) + "Villa: " + [Villa Code]@row + CHAR(10) + "Sale Type: " + [New or Resale]@row + CHAR(10) + "Surname: " + [Purchase SurnameName 1]@row + CHAR(10) + "Salesperson: " + Salesperson@row + CHAR(10) + "Date of Original Sale: " + [Original Date of Sale]@row

Tags:

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @CJKONEGA 

Hope you are fine, you can solve this problem by creating a date type helper column [Rectified Date] and use a fixed format for it for example ( yyyy-mm-dd ) and use the following formula as a column format formula in this column :

=IFERROR(DATE(YEAR([Original Date of Sale]@row), MONTH([Original Date of Sale]@row), 
    DAY([Original Date of Sale]@row)), "")

the following screenshot shows the result:

then you can use this column [Rectified Date] in your original formula so your new formula will be

Column Formula: ="Cancelled Sale: " + [Village ID]@row + CHAR(10) + "Villa: " + [Villa Code]@row +
    CHAR(10) + "Sale Type: " + [New or Resale]@row + CHAR(10) + "Surname: " +
    [Purchase SurnameName 1]@row + CHAR(10) + "Salesperson: " + Salesperson@row + CHAR(10)
    + "Date of Original Sale: " + [Rectified Date]@row

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @CJKONEGA 

Hope you are fine, you can solve this problem by creating a date type helper column [Rectified Date] and use a fixed format for it for example ( yyyy-mm-dd ) and use the following formula as a column format formula in this column :

=IFERROR(DATE(YEAR([Original Date of Sale]@row), MONTH([Original Date of Sale]@row), 
    DAY([Original Date of Sale]@row)), "")

the following screenshot shows the result:

then you can use this column [Rectified Date] in your original formula so your new formula will be

Column Formula: ="Cancelled Sale: " + [Village ID]@row + CHAR(10) + "Villa: " + [Villa Code]@row +
    CHAR(10) + "Sale Type: " + [New or Resale]@row + CHAR(10) + "Surname: " +
    [Purchase SurnameName 1]@row + CHAR(10) + "Salesperson: " + Salesperson@row + CHAR(10)
    + "Date of Original Sale: " + [Rectified Date]@row

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• YAHOO MAN
    Options

Hey @Bassam Khalil thanks for the tip. That has worked...thank you so much for your help.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/08/21
    Options

@YAHOO MAN 

You are welcome and i will be happy to help you any time.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!