Is it possible to batch-add only 1 or 2 new Project Summary fields to multiple projects

Ok super users - help me out on this one.

I have 41 projects in my workspace. For the next FY, I need to track 5 unique categories of these projects. So I am adding 2 additional "FY historical data" fields to EACH project so that at the end of the FY, I can run a summary report and include those 2 new fields.

Do I have to add these 2 new fields manually one at a time to EACH project? (Cumbersome) Or, can it be done more efficiently?

Every once in a while we have an NEW summary field we want to include (or update an existing). It's manageable at 41 projects that list will easily be well over 100 by this time next year!

Answers

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/06/21

Hi @Jeffrey Domanski ,

There is one option that could possibly make things easier for you so that you don't have to manually add these fields to each individual project sheet. Once your report is created you could update those fields directly within the report. Reports are bi-directional so updates made to the report will automatically be populated within the sheet. You can find more information here:

Depending on what those data fields are - you could always use some tricks managing your report and you could do a copy + paste to multiple fields.

Depending on your Smartsheet account type (and again depending on what data fields you are updating) there is a Find/Replace option available via Control Center. Control Center is available for business plans or higher.

If the above is not really a solution that would work for you - then you may want to provide additional details surrounding the data fields you are tracking .

All the best,

Sandra

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jeffrey Domanski

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, adding more summary fields on multiple sheets is not possible without replacing what is already there, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi - well these are summary fields so I'm not seeing how it lets me push them back from the report into the summary sections. I'm hoping they've got some updates on the roadmap that cover this. I'm a huge proponent batch editing. Thank you!