Is there a way to open a Hyperlink in a new tab?

Options
Justin Mauzy
Justin Mauzy ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 03/25/24 in Formulas and Functions

If I create a Hyperlink is there a way to make it open in a new tab?

• If I add a Hyperlink to "Case Cleaning Nightly Form"
  • This links to another sheet.
  • I want the sheet to open in a new tab instead of the current tab.

Thank you,

Best Answer

• Matthew Flebbe
    Matthew Flebbe ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/06/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Justin,

Use the "Link to URL:" choice instead.

If you navigate to the sheet you want to link to and copy the URL from the web browser, it will open in a new tab. You can also select a specific filter this way since the URL is dynamic based on the chosen filter.

The only drawback to this method is if you are using these links in a template. If you are linking to items within a template, the links you "hard code" will need to be manually changed. This is especially important to know if you are scaling to many projects with Control Center.

Let me know if you need more info or have any questions.

-Matt

Answers

• Matthew Flebbe
    Matthew Flebbe ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/06/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Justin,

Use the "Link to URL:" choice instead.

If you navigate to the sheet you want to link to and copy the URL from the web browser, it will open in a new tab. You can also select a specific filter this way since the URL is dynamic based on the chosen filter.

The only drawback to this method is if you are using these links in a template. If you are linking to items within a template, the links you "hard code" will need to be manually changed. This is especially important to know if you are scaling to many projects with Control Center.

Let me know if you need more info or have any questions.

-Matt

• Justin Mauzy
    Justin Mauzy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is what I used. Thank you for the quick response.

• gregjohnsondsm43126
    Options

This should not be so hard. When you add the 'smartsheet item' there should be a method of opening it in a new tab. The above solution, while it works, requires a lot of hub modifications. Also any slight changes break the links.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!