Is it possible to pre-populate a form based on the data gathered in another form?

Here is our use case.

1. It is a three step process.
  2. In the first step, the learners will submit some information.
  3. In the second step, SME analyzes the submissions and add (fill-in) more details (multiple columns).
  4. And then, after 45 days, the learners goes back to the form (which has SME comments, details) and add (fill-in), and add more details.
  5. After the first step, it will be preferable to send out some notifications.
  6. In the first step, the form will have about 10 fields. SME will look into that data in the first 10 fields, and add their comments in field 11 to 13. Then the learners will look at all 13 fields (basically looking at the SME details), and add their comments in fields 14 to 16.

Can this be achieved by using different forms for each step? If yes, can we pre-populate the 2nd form based on the details gathered in the first form? etc. Or can we just have one single form for all three steps, and expose additional columns in each step? Is it possible to this via workflow?

And, one more thing, the end users (and probably SMEs) will not have Smartsheet license, as they will just be accessing a web form to fill in the details. We will have a group of admins with license to analyze the data, generate the reports. etc.

Can you please provide some insight into how to achieve this in Smartsheet application?

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ismail Gundlur

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using Update Requests instead?

1. Start with the form
    2. Send update requests for the rest of the process.

If that wouldn't work, it is possible to pre-fill a Form with the URL-query feature, but depending on the specifics, it might not work.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå, good day to you and thanks for your suggestions! I am working with Ismail Gundlur on this case and I'm trying Update Requests. I started creating a workflow and I have a question on the Request an Update step. I selected "Send to contacts in a cell" but there's no result found in the Select a contact field. Does this need to be configured before creating a workflow? Ideally, we would like the workflow to pick up contacts from the newly-added row once a form is submitted. Thanks in advance!

• @Andrée Starå Hi, when you get a chance, can you please let us know if it is possible to select the email id entered in one of the fields?