Is there a way to trigger a follow up alert/reminder based on a specific cell's last change date?

Ami Veltrie
Ami Veltrie ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have existing Update Request workflow that triggers when I enter "*" into the cell. I want to create a follow up alert/reminder that goes out (to the same recipients) if the cell isn't updated within 48 hours.

Is this possible?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will want to set up a date type column and use a Record A Date automation to record the date when "*" is entered. You would then want to set up a Delete Cell Data automation to remove the date when the cell is no longer equal to "*". Finally you would set up the reminder automation to go out when the date is not today and is not within the past 2 days.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will want to set up a date type column and use a Record A Date automation to record the date when "*" is entered. You would then want to set up a Delete Cell Data automation to remove the date when the cell is no longer equal to "*". Finally you would set up the reminder automation to go out when the date is not today and is not within the past 2 days.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Ami Veltrie
    Ami Veltrie ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome Thanks Paul!! Really appreciate the speedy response and the detailed answer! Take care.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

• Gil Vega
    Gil Vega ✭✭
    edited 09/20/21

Hello,

I'm attempting to do something similar as Ami in my SmartSheet (request an update from a user when an approval field is in 'TBD' status for 1 week). As advised above, I created a 'record a date' automation that stamps the date when the approval field changes from blank to TBD. I then attempted to set up an 'alert someone' and 'set a reminder' automation but I am receiving an error that it cannot be run hourly, daily, or weekly. Please advise on what I'm doing wrong.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Gil Vega That is because you have {{placeholders}} in the subject and body.

My recommendation would be to insert a helper checkbox column with a formula to check the box when the date reaches 7 days in the past then use this checkbox column as your trigger.

10xViz.com

• Thanks for the reply @Paul Newcome! I found this post related to the formula and created this: =IF([Requester Manager Approval - Date TBD]@row >= TODAY(-7), 1) The problem is that it only triggers if it falls within 7 days of today and not previous to that date (will trigger for 9/13 but not 9/10). Can you advise on how I can adjust the formula to get the expected of the box checking if the date is 7 days or older?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Gil Vega Try switching it from greater than to less than.

10xViz.com

• Thanks @Paul Newcome it appears that =IF([Requester Manager Approval - Date TBD]@row < TODAY(-7), 1) is doing the trick, the issue is now that it is triggering for all situations where the field is blank. Is there a way to skip blank fields?

Also, are you saying that any subject or body of the 'alert someone' or 'set reminder' workflow type and {{placeholders}} will not allow for anything other than when triggered? At the very least, I would like to include a placeholder for the account name so the recipient can quickly identify what the notification is pertaining to. Is that possible?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try this for the formula:

=IF(AND([Requester Manager Approval - Date TBD]@row <> "", [Requester Manager Approval - Date TBD]@row < TODAY(-7)), 1)

As for the automation... Any automation using placeholders must be triggered "right away". If you want to make it more like a list, you would need to remove the placeholders and show those select columns in the notification. Then you could send them one per day/week/etc..

10xViz.com

• @Paul Newcome sorry for the radio silence, it's been a busy month! I carved out some time to make the changes you recommended and everything works like a charm. Thank you very much for all the detailed assistance, couldn't have done it without you 😀

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com