Have an IF Statement Change the status of a field when a value in another column is less then 2

Title is worded weird, but here's a better explanation.

I am looking for an IF Statement that reads "If Total Emails per app is less than 2, then change status to Additional Research Needed."

Here's my attempt at the formula:

=IF([Total Emails per Application]:[Total Emails per Application] < 2, "Additional Research Needed", "Certified")

In the screenshot below, I am getting an "Invalid operation" error.

But basically what I am trying to do is to prevent users from selecting "certified" if the total emails per application is 1 or 0.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Mike Raposo
    Mike Raposo ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You're getting an error because you're trying to have the IF statement evaluate a range against a condition and not the cell. The formula below should work for what you're looking to accomplish:

=IF([Total Emails per Application]@row < 2, "Additional Research Needed", "Certified")

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mike

Answers

• Mike Raposo
    Mike Raposo ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You're getting an error because you're trying to have the IF statement evaluate a range against a condition and not the cell. The formula below should work for what you're looking to accomplish:

=IF([Total Emails per Application]@row < 2, "Additional Research Needed", "Certified")

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Mike

• mbsamuel6
    mbsamuel6 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Mike.

I see what I was doing wrong. Instead of selecting the range, I could have just select that single cell. I tend to get confused on that every time when it comes to formulas. I guess I overthink it believing that it will always look at the one cell and not the others in that column.

I get it now, because it will look at the others once I "convert column to formula".

Just rambling, but thanks a lot. Worked like a charm

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!