COUNTIFS not working

RingJake
RingJake ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I have attempted to COUNTIFS from one smartsheet to another, however I have had no luck. Once smartsheet is being used to collect numbers and the other is getting information pulled in from Jira.

As you can see in the screenshots I am trying to count certain words in text fields and not a matching character in a cell, which I think is what is making this tricky. I have also tried combining formulas with FIND and HAS, but have has no luck.

Here is my current formula, which is not working, is somebody able to help me?

=COUNTIFS({Innovation Systems Impacted}, CONTAINS([Primary Column]@row, [Primary Column]:[Primary Column]), {Innovation Systems Impacted}, [Column2]1)

Tags:

Answers

• Tim Shaded
    Tim Shaded ✭✭✭✭

The way I understand this is that cells on the other sheet being referenced could contain a text string which would contain both of the words from the cells on the formula sheet (example: "ICB Complete"). In that case, both of the words would need to be referenced with a "CONTAINS" function for proper matching.

I haven't tested it, but you can try this:

=COUNTIFS({Innovation Systems Impacted}, CONTAINS([Column2]1, @cell)), {Innovation Systems Impacted}, CONTAINS([Primary Column]@row, @cell))

• RingJake
    RingJake ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/24/21

Hey @Tim Shaded ,

Thanks for the reply - however when I enter this I receive UNPARSABLE despite the function seeming to align with everything.

I've been stuck on this for over a week.

• AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯
    AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @RingJake

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.Β (share too,Β andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

βœ…Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

AndrΓ©e StarΓ₯ | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @RingJake

Tim's formula is closer to what you'll want to do, however can you clarify what cross sheet reference {Innovation Systems Impacted} is looking at?

It sounds like you have two separate columns to search, one for "ICB" and one for the status, is that correct? If so, you'll need two separate cross-sheet references, one for each column.

A COUNTIFS works like this:

=COUNTIFS({First Column to Search}, "Criteria 1", {Second Column to Search}, "Criteria 2")

It looks like there's an extra closing parentheses after the first @cell in the formula above, so try something like this instead:

=COUNTIFS({Innovation Systems Impacted}, CONTAINS([Primary Column]@row, @cell), {Status Column in other sheet}, [Column2]$1)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 πŸŽ‰
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• RingJake
    RingJake ✭✭✭✭✭

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!