Smartsheet Contact List column converted to Text column still does not show the email ID.

Hi All,

I am having trouble in retaining the email ID alone in the Smartsheet column. I tried the method but it is not working. (The objective for me is to develop Row Level Security on Power BI using the email ID. )

1. Method 1: Created a new column "Email ID" and referenced it to the master column "Name". I set the column "Email ID" to text type. Initially it shows up like "John Doe <john.doe@contoso.com>" but once i save and refresh the sheet, the value reverts back to the name "John Doe".
  2. Method 2: Although not a viable option since the email IDs that are going to be added to the column is going to be dynamic and not in my control. I tried to update the "My Contact List" and see if it works, but even this didn't help.

A few key points to be kept in mind:

• Preferably the solution needs to be dynamic with the assumption that we don't have control over the # of email ID.
  • The email ID column has the option to multi-select.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sainath_V

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a way to extract just the email from Contacts stored in a Contact List column. There currently isn't a want to do this with a direct formula such as =Contact@row into a Text/Number column; this will bring back the surface value of the cell (or the Contact name) as you've found. Please let the Product team know about your feedback and request by filling in this form, here!

How many contacts could there be in this column? One way to display emails in a text/number column would be to set up a second sheet in Smartsheet that has each potential contact listed with its email in a text/number cell next to it. Then you could use a cross-sheet reference formula to find a Match for the contact value and return the email address.

If you think this would work for you but you need help with the formula, please post a screen capture of your current source sheet (but block out sensitive data) and I'd be happy to help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Sainath_V

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a way to extract just the email from Contacts stored in a Contact List column. There currently isn't a want to do this with a direct formula such as =Contact@row into a Text/Number column; this will bring back the surface value of the cell (or the Contact name) as you've found. Please let the Product team know about your feedback and request by filling in this form, here!

How many contacts could there be in this column? One way to display emails in a text/number column would be to set up a second sheet in Smartsheet that has each potential contact listed with its email in a text/number cell next to it. Then you could use a cross-sheet reference formula to find a Match for the contact value and return the email address.

If you think this would work for you but you need help with the formula, please post a screen capture of your current source sheet (but block out sensitive data) and I'd be happy to help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you Genevieve. You had understood my question very well. I was afraid it may come down to the point where I need to maintain a reference sheet for the email IDs.

Are there plans to provide the option to make the email ID available for data exports?

Nice to have - A good alternative to this would be if we had "Dynamic Dashboards" similar to the "Dynamic Views".

• Hi @Sainath_V

I don't know if it's on the Product team's roadmap to add a function that will automatically extract the email - the best way to ensure they're aware that this is something you would find useful is to contact them and explain your use-case through the form linked above.

There may be alternatives or other ways to extract your data. Would you be able to explain your full scenario and end-goal with screen captures?

Thanks!

Genevieve