Publish Report without Attachments

I have a sheet that I used to create a Report with only certain columns and rows displaying that I want to publish/embed into SharePoint to allow people to view the information in a read-only view and see the latest data. I do not want them to have the ability to access the attachments for these rows. It doesn't look like there is currently a way to remove/hide attachments from a published report, so I wanted to see if anyone had been able to come up with a way to publish a report without attachments or another way to accomplish what we're trying to do.

Best Answers

Answers

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Bethany Garcia ,

Have you tried just hiding the columns on the report? I know they aren't available in the report settings, but I am pretty sure you can just right-click>hide them.

Holly Conrad Smith

Director of Technology & Innovation 💡 at Streamline

CliftonStrengths Top 5: Deliberative, Restorative, Achiever, Consistency, Harmony

• Bethany Garcia
    Bethany Garcia ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you, that worked! I didn't even think to try that, thank you!

• While using the publish link option on a report... when the columns are hidden (using right click, hide) the report viewer still has access to right click on the records and display details and attachments. Is there a way to prevent them from expanding the record to see information beyond the displayed columns.

• Hi @Jason Zimmerman

What I would personally do in this instance is embed the Report in a Dashboard using a Report Widget. This restricts what's being shown, even if more columns exist in the Report, and it hides the attachment and comment columns as well.

I hope this helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @Genevieve P. Is there a way to keep attachments hidden/unavailable but also allow the report viewer to upload photos to the publication or widget dashboard?

• Hi @Nichol Schroeder

You could embed a Form into the Dashboard as well, allowing the user to submit a new row into the underlying sheet that contains the attachment. 🙂

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thank you! @Genevieve P. Just confirming, so there is no way on a Report publication for viewer to edit or add comments (the only way I have found is if we utilize a dropbox link that the reviewer clicks, then edits the dropbox file).

If utilizing the Dashboard method, wouldn't the user need access to the main datasheet to be able to edit an embed form?

• Hi @Nichol Schroeder

You are correct: if you're using a Report Widget on a Dashboard, there's no way to enable an Editor to add rows, comments, or attachments. In this instance you'd want to share them to the Report itself (and the underlying sheet) with at least Commenter access to make changes and upload items.

For the Dashboard method I suggested, you would be the creator of the Form and embed the form directly into the Dashboard, like so:

That way they can submit data in real-time and it will upload it to the underlying sheet (and then Report).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P.

This is a great idea, our challenge is we cannot allow our vendors access to the underlying sheet as it contains sensitive information.

Do you possibly have any suggestions for that work around?

Otherwise, I think the publication + dropbox link =might be the only way? Super open to suggestions though!

• Hi @Nichol Schroeder

Users don't need access to the underlying sheet in order to fill out a form! 🙂

In my Dashboard above, they'd be able to view the Report, then submit new rows into the sheet. Is that what you are wanting?

• @Genevieve P. That's good they don't need access to the underlying sheet!! But we would not want them to add new rows.

We would want them to view and edit one box of the row. Essentially attaching an image to one box within an existing row.

Thanks for your thoughts as I work through this problem! Please let me know if I am describing the situation poorly.

• Hi @Nichol Schroeder

Thanks for clarifying!

There isn't a way to provide Edit access to a Report for only one cell; you would need to provide your collaborators with Edit access to the entire Report and to the underlying Sheet (since the edits are actually done on the underlying sheet and the Report is like a window to that data).

Alternative options would be to use a Report in a Workapp (if you have an Enterprise plan) or use the premium add-on Dynamic View.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P.

So in utilizing the Dashboard, they can only add a new row, not edit an existing row. The only way they can edit an existing row is if they have access to the underlying sheet. Correct?

And following up on my earlier discussion. Within a publication of a Report, is there no way to completely hide attachments? We can hide the column, but once the view is changed to card, it clearly shows the attachments.

Thank you, this is so helpful!!

• Hi @Nichol Schroeder

My apologies for the delay!

Yes, you are correct. You can have them add new rows through the form, but the would not be able to edit any existing rows without Editor access to the underlying sheet(s).

And you are also correct, there is no way to remove (versus hide which can be un-hidden) the attachment/comment columns when publishing a Report or Sheet.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Warren Labuschagne
    Warren Labuschagne ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. unfortunately WorkApps doesn't prevent users from right clicking on the row to View Details, which would allow them to view the attachments and any comments. Dynamic View allows user to view all attachments in the underlying sheet/report if you want them to be able to add attachments.