run workflow to push past items

Options

I setup a workflow to copy items to a new sheet once the "meeting date" is in the past. I already have items on the sheet that are past these dates. Is there a way to run a workflow now so that dates already in the past get moved? I did not see a "run workflow" option. Last time, I have to change the dates to future and then back to the old dates.

Best Answer

• Matthew Foss
    Matthew Foss ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Leann Gibson,

I've ran into this myself and I created a temporary workflow based on a temporary trigger that moves the rows.

1. I would recommend adding a temporary column called "Temp." You can leave it blank at first.

2. Then go and create a workflow that's based on the Temp column equaling the number 1 and then moves the row to the sheet you need it to.

3. Save the workflow then filter the sheet for all past dates.

4. Input the number 1 in every cell in the Temp column and save to trigger the workflow.

5. If needed, go to the destination sheet and delete the "Temp" column. Do the same in the main sheet.

Let me know if that will work for you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Leann Gibson

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible because it has to be triggered by a change, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Matthew Foss
    Matthew Foss ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Leann Gibson,

I've ran into this myself and I created a temporary workflow based on a temporary trigger that moves the rows.

1. I would recommend adding a temporary column called "Temp." You can leave it blank at first.

2. Then go and create a workflow that's based on the Temp column equaling the number 1 and then moves the row to the sheet you need it to.

3. Save the workflow then filter the sheet for all past dates.

4. Input the number 1 in every cell in the Temp column and save to trigger the workflow.

5. If needed, go to the destination sheet and delete the "Temp" column. Do the same in the main sheet.

Let me know if that will work for you!

• Leann Gibson
    Leann Gibson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the workaround, will also submit this to SmartSheet. It would be great to have a "run now" to get items from before you setup the workflow.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!