How do I revert to a previous version of a smartsheet that I was working on?

Hiteshri
edited 12/15/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I was working on my smartsheet this morning and I am not sure what happened, a cross-sheet reference was added (I did not intend to do this). Following this, all cells that were initially populated with numbers, reflected 0. I double-checked the formulae and they are all accurate, referencing the correct sheet. I am not able to identify what this "Cross-Sheet Reference Added" is (refer to screenshot of activity log). I need to revert back to the version before this cross sheet reference was added.

Any help/advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 12/15/23 Answer ✓

Hiya!

Jumping in here with additional resources for anyone else with the same question:

If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan, you can request a Sheet Snapshot from the Activity log from when a change was made. This will email the owner of the sheet an Excel file you can use to copy/paste back in your previous data. (See: Request a sheet snapshot).

Any plan type can also check the cell history to see what used to be stored in that cell.

For this specific instance, it sounds like a {cross sheet reference} was changed to point to a different column. You can use the Sheet Reference Manager to edit/update your formula references.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

I would suggest that you get with your account rep. If the change occurred fairly recently there is a chance they might be able to restore it for you.

As a future note, for any critical sheets there is an option (depending on your licensed plan) for Request a Backup. This will allow you to schedule backups on a sheet or workspace at regular intervals so you could restore if something like this happens in the future. I'd recommend setting it up on any critical sheets you might have.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 12/15/23 Answer ✓

Hiya!

Jumping in here with additional resources for anyone else with the same question:

If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan, you can request a Sheet Snapshot from the Activity log from when a change was made. This will email the owner of the sheet an Excel file you can use to copy/paste back in your previous data. (See: Request a sheet snapshot).

Any plan type can also check the cell history to see what used to be stored in that cell.

For this specific instance, it sounds like a {cross sheet reference} was changed to point to a different column. You can use the Sheet Reference Manager to edit/update your formula references.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now