Approval Workflow

Can you set up an update request in an approval workflow based directly on the decline response?

Answers

• My question goes a bit further now. I have 2 separate approvals. The first approval goes through. For the 2nd approval request and update, I want the flow to route back to the 2nd approver and continue the flow. Below is a screenshot of my workflow.

It is at the last request an update where I want it to route back to the 2nd approver. I was trying this by adding a condition Where a checkbox is checked just above the 2nd request for approval. Di I just need to create a separate workflow altogether with the Resubmit checkbox as the trigger, or is there a way I can circle this around? All suggestions are appreciated. Linda

• Hi @Linda Bittner

Think of a workflow like a line of Dominoes. After the workflow has been triggered (ex. the Submit checkbox is checked for that one row), it has to flow downwards until it reaches an end point. This means that it can't loop back up and around to a specific Condition if the initial trigger has already started the workflow and it has moved past this point.

I would recommend having a second, separate workflow for your second approver which is triggered by the "Resubmit" checkbox, as you noted at the end.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you. I played with it for quite a while and did come to that same conclusion. I actually ended up with more than 2 workflows. A few of them changed or cleared the cell content after certain points to force it to loop. It has certainly been a learning experience. My brain is fried. Thank you for your help.

Linda

• Hi Linda,

I'm glad you were able to create a solution that works for your process! If your brain gets fried again in the future and you need more help, please feel free to post again.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now