Reoccurring Automation

Reoccurring Automation

I am trying to set an automation to run when a certain date is reached if an item isn’t marked as complete. It makes me select days or custom, not allowing me to use daily.

I would like to be able to say if the start date has been reached then email a reminder to those assigned if the item is either not mark as completed or the start date has not started.

Any help is welcome, thanks in advance!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Daily would be in the Custom portion of the trigger. You would set it to repeat every 1 day.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Athar
    Athar ✭✭

Hi sholmes, please see attached screenshot. I hope it'll solve your problem.

• sholmes
    sholmes ✭✭✭✭

Thanks I tried this but it's not what I need. I need to say if the start date has been reached send email daily until the status has been marked as completed. When I hit custom, I have to select a start date which I don't want to do I want it to be based on what is on the sheet. When I put the conditions it still send me the reminder even if nothing is going on. I want it to not send anything if the date has not been reached yet. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

• Athar
    Athar ✭✭

Hi sholmes, try following process to get the desired output.

Trigger: Where a data has reached (run everyday)

1st Condition: Status is "In Progress"

2nd Condition: Start Date is "Today", then look at + add another condition button just below, put the condition "or the Start Date is "In the Past".

I hope it'll solve your problem.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The start date in the daily trigger is just when you want it to start evaluating on a daily basis. You could delay it if you wanted to, or (in the case of setting it up weekly or monthly) have it start next week or next month.

Then your conditions would be set up for the status and when the [Start Date] is in the past.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• sholmes
    sholmes ✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I guess I am trying to make it do two different things. I want it to be based on when the start date is on the sheet but in order to have reoccurring daily the custom creates a start date which makes it run continuously. It isn't taking the sheet start date into account so then it's sending reminders when there are no assignments b/c the custom has a firm start date. I want it to run when the date has been reached on the sheet and several lines have different dates and daily if it's not completed. Thanks for the suggestions, I will keep playing around with it.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Right. The custom start date has a hard date set to start running and will run daily, but really that is only checking for rows that meet your conditions. If no rows meet the conditions (for example) today, then no alert will go out. That is why you have to be more specific with the conditions.

The trigger is only checking the sheet and not necessarily sending anything unless that daily check finds something that meets the conditions specified.

10xViz.com