Dollar Sign Not Showing in Metric Sheet

Hi Everyone!

I'm not great with formulas, and I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what I'm missing. I have a column in a sheet that contains dollar amounts. I then have a separate metrics sheet where that column totals (to be pulled into a dashboard), however even though the source sheet contains dollar signs and commas, they are not reflected in the metrics sheet.

Ex: Source sheet: $123,456.78

Metrics sheet: 123456.78

I am using just a simple SUM formula to total the column. Is there an easy way to fix this so the correct currency format is pulled in?

Thanks!!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Kate Gallo

It sounds like you just need to turn on currency formatting for that column in your metric sheet. Click on the column name to highlight it, then choose your preferred currency format from the toolbar in the top menu:

See: Formatting Options

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P. !

Oh my GOODNESS. 🤦 ​I figured it was going to be something easy, but I can't believe it was THAT easy, and that I completely missed such an obvious option!

That totally worked. Thank you so much! ⭐️

• Genevieve P.

Haha no problem at all! I'm so glad it was an easy fix.

Have a great weekend! 🙂

• Tammy Tice
    Tammy Tice ✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. I have a similar issue. I have currency labels showing in the chart, however, the currency format does not show on the Y axis lab. Is there a way to fix that? Is it because I have 2 sets of data, one currency and one numerical?

I find charting in Smartsheet has limited control over the appearance and format of charts. There really needs to be more control. For instance my dollar amounts and numbers in the chart are way too big.

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Tammy Tice

You're correct - the Y Axis is only showing numerical because your data has a mixture of $ values and plain number values. If you updated the data that say 79 and 22 to be $79 and $22, your Y Axis should automatically update to show a $ sign in front of the numbers as well.

Please feel free to add your suggestions and vote to this Product Idea: Editable Font Size and Colour for Data Labels on Charts!

Thanks,

Genevieve

• Tammy Tice
    Tammy Tice ✭✭✭

Thanks a bunch for confirming that is why the $ does not show on the Y axis. Even though there is no legend, we know what the small numbers are quantity and the larger numbers are $. I just wish I could make those large numbers have a dollar sign to look better. I also wish there was a combination chart type to allow a secondary axis like this occurrence to be charted.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!