Projects rolling over from 2021-2022

Options

Hello,

I' currently working on our 2022 project sheet and it has identical columns from our 2021 sheet with changes to the projects that are listed, however, we have some from 2021 that are transitioning to 2022. Since they are still going to be working on the projects for the remainder of the year, I want to have project "A" in my 2021 sheet linked to the 2022. So any changes that happen on the 2021 or 2022 sheets reflect the changes on both sheets regardless of where the update happens.

Tags:

Answers

• Melissa  Rojas
    Options

I've been able to link the 2022 sheet to the 2021. The "source" sheet is the 2022 sheet and the team will have to make changes to the 2022 sheet to then reflect on the 2021 sheet. However, it's a "read only" option on the 2021. Is there a better way to do this?

Also, if an attachment is updated in the 2022 sheet, is there a way to have attachment update on the 2021 sheet?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Melissa Rojas

There currently isn't a way to sync two sheets together 2-ways. If you use Cell-Linking there will need to be one designated sheet where the changes occur, which will then flow through to the destination sheet (ex. from 2021 to 2022, but then if you make a change in the 2022 sheet it will remove the link to 2021). You can read about Cell Linking here.

One option would be to create a Report to bring your two sheets together. This would show unique rows from both sheets in one view. You can have rows from both sheets side-by-side, but the source sheets will only contain their own information (ex. no rows from 2021 should then be in your 2022 sheet). Does that make sense?

A Report is like a window to the underlying sheet, so any changes you make in the Report will update the Sheet and any changes you make in the Sheet will update the Report. Here's a webinar on Reports.

Then at the end of the year, you can Copy Rows from the 2021 sheet to 2022 to bring over the current data as you transition out of 2021.

Let me know if this would work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!