Request Approval Automation working in one direction only

Hi Guys

I have an automation running for approvals. Ill add an image for reference.

What I'm trying to achieve:

We want PERSON A to be able to make a request to PERSON B. B must then approve or decline. Upon B's approval a new Approval Automation is triggered back to A to accept what was issued. We have about 50+ PERSON A's.

Problem:

When I have 1 automation setup, it works perfectly, but when I have more than 1, on the return, it triggers every single automation at once. EXAMPLE: PERSON A makes a request to specific person, PERSON B, (this part works perfectly), then PERSON B approves it. Now it triggers ALL the automations back to all my PERSON As.

What I have tried:

1. I have deleted all my automations and redid them
  2. I have made sure the settings is set for specific people only
  3. I have ensured the original trigger is on "When rows are added" and not changed

If anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Jacques Langenhoven

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jacques Langenhoven

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some more screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå

I will try my best. I built a inventory system where our technicians can request stock, my stock controllers can approve/issue the stock they requested and they can then receive/accept the stock that was issued to them.

The technician has a form that he completes to request stock.

This line then triggers an automation that sends an Approval request to my stock controllers. (This part works perfectly)

If the stock controller clicks approve, it triggers the next automation. (This is where the issue is)

Once the stock controller approves, it triggers every single automation like this, even though it is made to specific people. If I have only the one automation it works, but the moment I have an automation for the next technician, it triggers that one to run aswell, which it shouldn't as the flow directs the required action from trigger to one person and then from that person to the next.

Please let me know if you need more then I can give you access to the sheet for a better idea.

Kind regards.

• @Andrée Starå

What I am guessing is happening is:

The second part of the trigger for each automation is based on the word Approved in the column the automation creates. It is not specific to anyone so it triggers ALL the automations that is looking at that column. Image below for reference:

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jacques Langenhoven

I hope you're well and safe!

How did it go? Did you manage to get something set up?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.