Multiple contacts per cell not receiving automated update requests

I have an email contact list being populated by a Vlookup that is part of an automated workflow. I have "allow multiple contacts per cell" checked as part of the column parameters, but in every cell where there are two email addresses needed, the automated update requests are not being sent. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ashley McAdoo

I can see that in the workflow sheet the column values are actually being returned as Text, not as a Contact (there are no circles next to the email addresses). It also looks like it's pulling through a different value... the email...are you sure the formula is bringing back the right column?

I would suggest editing the Reference that the VLOOUP is looking at to ensure it's finding the right Contact Column and not another Text column that contains emails.

Can you paste your formula here, and identify what column number in your reference it's pulling data from?

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Ashley McAdoo

What does the source sheet look like for the VLOOKUP? How are the contacts stored in this sheet?

The source sheet would need to have the contacts set up in a multi-contact column so that the VLOOKUP could bring back the correct multi-contact value. Are the formula values being returned with the contact circle next to the email/name?

Can you post a screen capture of your source sheet and your current sheet where the workflow is built (but please block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Ashley McAdoo
    Ashley McAdoo ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P.

The lookup sheet column is formatted for multiple contacts per cell, and the contacts are being returned correctly on the workflow sheet. All the single contacts are receiving the automated emails, but every row where there are multiple contacts they are not.

This workflow used to work, but apparently stopped a few months ago.

Thanks,

Ashley

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ashley McAdoo

I can see that in the workflow sheet the column values are actually being returned as Text, not as a Contact (there are no circles next to the email addresses). It also looks like it's pulling through a different value... the email...are you sure the formula is bringing back the right column?

I would suggest editing the Reference that the VLOOUP is looking at to ensure it's finding the right Contact Column and not another Text column that contains emails.

Can you paste your formula here, and identify what column number in your reference it's pulling data from?

• Ashley McAdoo
    Ashley McAdoo ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P.

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks so much!

• Genevieve P.

No problem! 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!