Pulling data from one sheet into the sheet summary of another - is automation possible?

SL RN
SL RN
edited 10/26/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello.

I am using Smartsheet to conduct and keep track of several surveys.

I have my master list, which has the survey name, sheet, form, and contacts/email addresses. Each survey is sent out automatically on a given date.

When I program my sheet summary, I want to know what percentage of people responded. Right now I have a formula for count of responses, and I need to manually reference the count of contacts in the original masterlist: =countm({Masterlist Range 1})

Then I use this formula to find the percentage: =[Number of Responses]#/[Count of Attendees]#

Is there a better way to do this? Is automation possible?

Answers

• Hi @SL RN

You should be able to combine both of your formulas into one big formula, so you don't need the extra two cells.

For example:

=COUNT([Response]:[Response]) / COUNTM({Masterlist Range 1})

Does that make sense? Let me know if this helped or if I misunderstood your question! If so, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet, but please block out sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• My question was really about getting the data from the other sheet automatically without needing to hand select the range

• Hi @SL RN

Can you identify what {Masterlist Range 1} is referencing? You should be able to click on the Column Name which will select the entire column. Then as new people are added to your Masterlist they will automatically appear as a number in your formula.

• I'm using this MasterList to keep track of courses. Each course has a separate corresponding sheet and form for a feedback survey. I want the number of course attendees in my Sheet Summary report, so I've imported the =countm(masterlist range), which is the count of email addresses entered in the contact field. Right now I need to enter the formula manually for each course. I'd love for it to pull directly from the appropriate row.

• Hi @SL RN

I think I understand, now! It sounds like you're looking for a way to ensure that the {range} is automatically pointing to the right column when you create a fresh, new sheet, is that right?

If so, how are you creating these new sheets? If you're using an active sheet then saving it as a duplicate with "Save as New", this is a setting you can toggle on:

• I've created a template that has all the correct formulas built in and I use that for new sheets. I have a link for the sheet and the corresponding form in the MasterList.