Paste Multiple Cells without wrapping

Does anyone know how to paste multiple cells from either a report or another sheet into a sheet without wrapping? Meaning if someone used a carriage return in a cell...how do I get all of the cells to paste in exactly how they were on the original sheet/report?

I had thought that the error wouldn't occur if I was pasting from sheet to sheet...so I exported the report to excel and then imported it back into a SS sheet. However, it wasn't working today.

Thoughts?

Answers

• Hi @Heather Taylor

If someone has used a carriage return in a cell, you will need to have wrapping applied to the entire column:

If this isn't applied, the text will disappear off to the right of the cell, but you can get it back by applying wrapping to the whole column. Is this what you meant?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Heather Taylor
    Heather Taylor ✭✭✭
    edited 10/27/21

@Genevieve P. Thanks...not quite what I was looking for. If someone uses carriage return and you copy several cells (including the cell with carriage return) and then paste to another sheet, the cells do not paste in the same number of cells as expected. the cell with carriage return splits into multiple cells causing everything to shift. Hopefully I'm explaining it correctly.

• Hi @Heather Taylor

Would you be able to post screen captures of what you're seeing? Are you copying/pasting from a Smartsheet sheet to another sheet, or using excel as you mentioned above?

When I copy a Smartsheet cell with multiple lines in the one cell, it pastes into one cell in another Smartsheet sheet - I'd like to try and replicate what you're seeing so screen captures would be helpful.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now