Archiving a sheet

Is there are way to archive sheets in Smartsheet?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would suggest saving it as a template. Then when you are ready to resume, you would essentially create a new sheet based on the template which will have all of the data/automations/etc saved.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What did you have in mind for the end result?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Ken P
    Ken P ✭✭✭

Hi Paul,

I have a project sheet that I want to archive for now and possibly start again in the future. I don't want any of the resources assigned to tasks to make any updates.

Thanks,

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would suggest saving it as a template. Then when you are ready to resume, you would essentially create a new sheet based on the template which will have all of the data/automations/etc saved.

10xViz.com

• Ken P
    Ken P ✭✭✭

OK, would saving it as a template keep resources from updating the tasks or do I also need to remove resources?

Thanks!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No one can "update" a template. The only option is to essentially save a new sheet based on the template.

10xViz.com

• These are great answers Paul. I want to use SS as I would MS Project. Every month, save the project schedule as an archive and then start making changes on a new version of the file, so the old file is always saved. I understand the history is always there but I believe saving these monthly archives to be important. Also, if one wants to do "what if's" but not mess up the actual project schedule that everyone is shared with. Also I have links from my dashboard that I want to maintain.

What are your recommendations? I will try your templating method above.