Multi-select with multiple selected values

Hi,

Probably not possible (!), but worth asking...

I wondered if there's some way to have a multi-select which then allows me to enter a number against the selected value?

I'm trying to capture how many staff at different levels are on a project. If I have 3 Developers is it possible to specify that using the dropdown or should I stick with having a column per role and then specify how many?

Thanks,

Derek

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Derek!

Good news, what you're wanting to do is doable. You'll want to utilize the COUNTM function.

Just tested this out and it works great:

Create a new column on your sheet - I named mine "Total" (I'm very original, you're welcome to utilize my very creative naming convention):

The formula for the "Total" column is this:

=COUNTM(Developers@row)

Let me know if this works, and if it does, please click that "Yes" button below!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Derek!

Good news, what you're wanting to do is doable. You'll want to utilize the COUNTM function.

Just tested this out and it works great:

Create a new column on your sheet - I named mine "Total" (I'm very original, you're welcome to utilize my very creative naming convention):

The formula for the "Total" column is this:

=COUNTM(Developers@row)

Let me know if this works, and if it does, please click that "Yes" button below!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Del Horne
    Del Horne ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Brett!

That definitely works and I'll use it - yes!

I also wondered if there's a way to use a multi-select to select the same value multiple times? e.g. I have 3 developers, so I select developer but also want to register that I have 3 of them...I'm guessing not but worth asking! I'm thinking I might have to have a column per role type and then a value against that?

Thanks again for taking the time to help,

Del

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Del, glad it worked for you!

In regards to your other request...Hmmm.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're asking for.

What would the options be for the Multi-Select column? Would "Developer" only show up once, or several times? I'm not sure how you'd implement "Developer" several times. Maybe you could simply have values like "1 Developer, 2 Developers, 3 Developers"?

Or....Would a value of "Developer" AND "Mid-weight Developer" = 2 developers?

If that's the case, then you could use a separate column and some sort of formula to count how many times the word "Developer" is in there. I'm sure that's a thing. Let me know what you're thinking of - screenshots help too.

Love,